Profitability is a vital aspect of any business. It is the most important pillar on which a business can grow and evolve sustainably. Landscape businesses are no different. Effective property measurement tools and methods are crucial to avoid large operational overheads. Let us look at what are the gaps with current property measurement methods and what are the solutions to increase profits.
The inefficiency of current property measurement methods
Properties can be measured in two ways currently – with the help of online tools like Google Earth or Go iLawn, or through visits to properties. Property visits can be with or without measurement tools. However, as you would already know, a lot of resources are required when you manually measure properties. There are labor and time costs involved, with strong possibilities of errors in measurement. This would lead to approximations and underbidding or overbidding of the job. Also with online tools, you do not get information like turf topography and height of hedges. This could lead you to miss out on key operational insights and parameters. Due to these reasons, manual measurement of properties is not preferred.
In common practice, property visits have been replaced by the usage of tools like Go iLawn and Google Earth. Such tools provide relief from various disadvantages of property visits and are trusted by many Landscape organizations to fast track property measurements with considerably lesser efforts and cost. However, these solutions come with some inherent limitations as mentioned below.
The way these tools work is that they deliver aerial imagery and they have to sit through a long grueling session of drafting polygons around the property with a mouse. The mechanism not only requires time and loads of effort but a fluency at drawing with computer mouse on aerial imageries.
It also hampers the accuracy of measurements in the long run, as the drawing of polygons even a tad bit off would result in scaled errors with measurements being off by huge denominators for large properties. As a result, to ensure high accuracy, more time and efforts have to be invested while measuring with such tools.
The kind of parameters that can be measured with such tools is standard and fixed. As a result, in case of bids that contain calculations or counting of features that aren’t a part of these routine modules, one has to fall back on property visits. This creates pressure on landscapers as clients demand multiple custom features to suit their requirements almost regularly. Measurements based on extrapolation or formulas, like the treatable surface area of shrubs, crown radius, etc. have to be calculated again by the team. For a landscaping firm seeking to scale its business, this is a real showstopper.
Measurement data: The new way of doing things
At Attentive AI, we believe that innovation is required to make measurements an automated task that can generate accurate results. Deep learning is the heart of our business as we automate property measurements to yield better productivity for landscapers through lesser efforts in terms of time and cost. We make use of machine vision algorithms and high-resolution aerial imagery for quick feature extraction and delivery of quality measurement data. The landscape industry can rapidly benefit by getting the right measurement data through MapX.
MapX is a measurement service that helps landscape contractors get property measurements with rich insights in the shortest time. You just need to define the property that needs to be measured, along with other measurements needed like parking lots, open spaces, etc.
The difference between MapX and other property measurement tools is that MapX is completely automated and doesn’t require any manual interference in terms of efforts or time to measure properties. Unlike property measurement tools, MapX is a property data service. It has a simple premise- the users feed the parcel/address of the property and get the required measurements directly without drawing any lines on their computer screens. With MapX, we have simplified the property measurement process by making it a simple one-click transaction.
Here is how you can get accurate measurement data in four steps
- Enter details of property or parcel address: All you need to do is enter the parcel address or lat-long of the property whose measurements are required. The system will automatically generate measurement values, including polygons drawn on the imagery of the property.
- Turnaround time: Understanding the value of time, our system is designed to offer solutions in a quick time frame. Our USP is that we make use of machine learning to generate data which reduces the overall turnaround time for our clients.
- Data precision: MapX uses ultra-high resolution aerial imagery for measurements. This ensures that every polygon generated by MapX is within a few centimeters of its actual position on the ground. Moreover, imagery is refreshed every 6 months in growing urban areas in the US. Finally, the measurements are produced through detailed quality checks to ensure precision.
- Level of detail: MapX measures every polygon of turf, tree ring and bed on a property irrespective of the size of the property and turnaround time guaranteed. Moreover, you get access to 3D measurements such as turf slope, the surface area of turf in 3D, hedge surface area and tree heights to estimate maintenance services without visiting the property.
The measurements get displayed on the screen instantly with polygons helping showcase the respective features and detailing. This data can be viewed or downloaded in CSV or any other requested format.
Benefits of using MapX for Property Measurement
MapX is property measurements made easy. Its user-friendly interface allows users to get the required data in minimum clicks. Let us see if MapX solves the problems inherent with the property measurement tools.
|Parameter||Property Measurement tool||MapX|
|Mechanism||1. Requires drafting on computer screens|
2. Requires huge time and effort
3. Requires fluency at drawing on computer screens
|1. Doesn’t require any user interference|
2. Requires only property parcel address as input
3. Measurement data is delivered instantly on entering parcel address
|Accuracy||1. Manual errors occur as the drafting of polygons for measurement|
2. Low precision
|1. Use of deep learning eliminates all manual errors|
2. The measurements are done with maximum accuracy with pixel-level exposition
2. Requires a person to draw and draft on aerial imagery for measurements
2. Doesn’t require any human interference as measurements are completely automated
|Incomplete||1. Measurement of a parameter as per standard modules|
2. Custom measurements are not possible
3. Calculations based on measurements have to be done outside the tool
|1. Custom measurements are possible and easy|
2. Any geospatial feature that can be measured using aerial imagery of the parcel can be done
3. Parameters based on calculations are readily available as data
With MapX for property measurements, you stand a chance to gain many unique insights about various aspects that are a part of any property you measure. These can help you forecast your operations in a better way and plan for mitigation measures in case of unforeseen circumstances. The unique insights include:
- 3D Turf surface area
- Turf topography
- Turf edges
- Shrub surface area
- Tree cover
- Tree inventory
Make the switch for higher growth
MapX is designed to simplify the business operations for professionals that are associated with the landscape industry. To know more details about the software and how it can benefit you, get in touch with us today.